The free 3-point-bending test is the standard test in Impetus. It is a loading case that is the most commonly loading case and consequently near to reality. The test specimens can be easily retrieved from parts that are made by injection molding which is the standard process for manufacturing parts. The tests are done very quickly and the results are reproducible. As most of the plastics show a tension/compression dependency the results as base of the material card are more accurate than using just tensile tests.
Field of application for solid materials:
- base of the material characterization
- test specimen geometry: width of 10 mm, thickness of 2 mm
- velocity of the pendulum: 1 - 4.4 m/s
- support distance: 30 - 60 mm
- support radius and fin radius: 2 mm.